On Monday afternoon, two swans had been discovered sitting alongside the aspect of a parkway in Prince Edward County earlier than being rushed to Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre in Better Napanee.
READ MORE: Sandy Pines barn construct beneficial properties new help earlier than winter hits
The assistant director of the centre, Leah Birmingham, informed World Information that the feminine swan might have hit a hydro wire, which she says is pretty widespread for swans, but it surely brought on burn marks on the feminine and the male swan was just a bit surprised.
In line with the wildlife centre, the male swan’s shock wore off after 24 hours however the feminine swan’s accidents are extreme.
“The feminine swan fractured her femur and on the X-ray picture, you may see small items that broke off,” mentioned Birmingham.
READ MORE: Hearth destroys barn at Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre in Napanee
One of many caretakers on the wildlife centre, Tess Miller, has labored with varied water birds over the previous two years, and says having the swan couple on the centre is extremely uncommon.
“They like one another already and they are much extra comfy in our care. They’re extra more likely to eat, much less stressed, they work with us higher, and work higher on this setting,” mentioned Miller.
Miller and Birmingham are paying shut consideration to the swans’ accidents however say birds heal quicker than mammals.
The feminine swan’s damage often takes about one month to heal however with the altering climate and the colder months forward, the Wildlife Centre is making ready for the couple to stick with them till the spring.
READ MORE: Sandy Pines fundraiser raises cash to switch burned barn
Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre holds as much as 35 swans and in early 2019, a constructing behind the centre will likely be remodeled into an aquatic centre. The brand new waterbird enclosure will embrace indoor swimming pools with a filtration system.