WARNING: When you’ve got not watched the season three finale of “Riverdale”, then seize your favorite ballgown and get the hell out of right here! For everybody else, let’s focus on all of the madness that simply occurred…
Effectively, that was intense!
The season three finale of “Riverdale” simply raced throughout our screens and it was a blur of brutal battles, bloody twists and a very huge flashforward.
We all know that you could have a ton of questions proper now as we strive to piece collectively all the Gargoyle King bombshells and spring break surprises, so ET referred to as up creator and showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa to get the official explanations.
So how lengthy has Penelope been plotting this? Has Cheryl formally misplaced her thoughts? Was The Farm at all times alleged to be this twisted? And what the hell occurred to Jughead?!
Learn on for the unique solutions to 11 of our greatest “Riverdale” questions…
1. That finale was not like something we’ve ever seen on “Riverdale”! When did you understand you needed to loop all of it along with Stylish, Hal and Penelope being our trifecta of evil?
Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: You understand, that was really [the plan] once I pitched season three — that was sort of on the coronary heart of the pitch. We needed our season three thriller and crime noir moments to tie seasons one, two and three collectively. So we knew we needed Jason’s homicide, the Black Hood and the Gargoyle King all to tie collectively. And since our collection began with the dying of Jason Blossom, it felt like that might be our level of origin for all of this and that’s how we landed on the Penelope piece, then got here Hal after which got here Stylish. But it surely all occurred fairly early on.
2. By the tip of this episode, Hal appears tremendous useless — I’m fairly certain you possibly can’t come again from a bullet within the mind — however we didn’t really see what occurred to Stylish and Penelope. What are followers alleged to imagine?
Sure, Hal could be very useless. However you recognize, we hear in Jughead’s monologue that Stylish is in jail and Penelope slipped away into the night time, so each of these issues are true.
3. Issues acquired actually darkish with The Farm within the penultimate episode once we realized that Edgar is definitely harvesting organs from his followers. Was this at all times the plan and did you at all times anticipate that The Farm can be this twisted?
Effectively, we at all times did know that there needed to be a darkish secret behind The Farm. We had been telling form of this story that The Farm was a self-help group, however they had been additionally form of a cult that talked about “ascending,” and so they actually valued being near dying and near-death experiences since they walked on fireplace and all that stuff. So we needed one thing that was fairly surprising. [With] most cults, on the finish you reveal that basically it’s a couple of cult chief desirous to have intercourse with numerous his followers and we needed one thing completely different than that. We appeared on the identify “The Farm” and we thought, “Farm. Harvesting. Organ harvesting — oh wow! That might be a approach to form of tie all of it collectively. It’ll be surprising and nonetheless form of have some foundation in actuality.” Organ harvesting and organ trafficking being one thing that may be a actual factor.
4. By the tip of the episode, we found that the members of The Farm have slipped away into the night time and so they’ve left Kevin behind. We’ve additionally now found that Alice is definitely an FBI informant working undercover to take down The Farm. Was this twist with Alice at all times a part of the plan?
No. I feel we landed on that in all probability about midway by this season. And you recognize, once we went again, we form of thought, “Wow! Alice might have executed all of these items to keep up her cowl as a real member of The Farm.” So once we noticed that it sort of made sense — in “Riverdale”-sense — we sort of ran with it.
5. The finale launched us to the actual Charles — who really seems like a placing mixture of Lili Reinhart and Cole Sprouse! How is the introduction of Betty and Jughead’s older half-brother going to shake issues up as we transfer ahead in season 4?
Yeah, I imply, you recognize we at all times inform household tales on Riverdale. We’ve got executed a bit of bit with Betty and Polly and a bit of bit with Jughead and Jelly Bean, however we haven’t actually seen a real sibling dynamic, so we needed to introduce that character. You understand, Betty’s brother within the comedian books is an FBI agent, so it felt like we should always do this too. Betty hasn’t had an excellent relationship with numerous her relations — her father, her mom, her sister — and we thought, “Effectively, what if we introduced in somebody and Betty might relate to him and have a superb relationship with him?” In order that’s sort of what we’re trying ahead to exploring.
6. Cheryl has at all times been a bit of on the sting, however now she’s speaking together with her useless brother’s decaying corpse at Thistlehouse and it’s greater than a bit of disturbing. How is that physique not fully deteriorated? After which discuss me by Cheryl’s mindset for doing this.
We talked so much about how decomposed Jason’s physique can be. We thought in all probability the Blossoms acquired some actually high-end coffins that had been sealed hermetic, and doubtless he was embalmed. They’re in a universe the place he can be extra preserved than decomposed. We additionally talked about the truth that possibly Edgar had Jason taxidermied, which is why he’s nonetheless round. As for Cheryl, you recognize, the character of Cheryl, in a means, will at all times be outlined by the lack of her brother and the absence in her life she felt after that. That’s why she fell into the cult essentially the most simply. The cult gave her again what she needed most — which was Jason. Once we had been speaking concerning the finish of the season for Cheryl, we thought, “Would Cheryl instantly put Jason again in his grave? Would she instantly say goodbye to him?” And we thought, “Effectively, she would possibly cling onto him a bit of bit.” And so relatively than inter him within the household crypt, Cheryl has form of set him up together with her. I don’t suppose Cheryl is loopy. I don’t suppose he’s speaking to her. I feel he’s somebody who gave her consolation and nonetheless offers her consolation.
7. On the finish of the finale, it was actually nice to see our 4 essential characters sit collectively and acknowledge the truth that issues have been insane of their small city and the way they only need to have a standard senior 12 months — however then we get that bloody flashforward of Archie, Betty and Veronica throughout spring break. What would you like followers to know after they’ve watched that scene?
I feel the thought was we’re at all times form of subverting expectations on “Riverdale”. That’s form of the idea of the premise of the present so we thought, “OK, it’s their senior 12 months. It’s the time for them to spend as a lot time collectively as a result of it’s the final time they’ll spend collectively possibly all because the group.” We then began to sort of take into consideration these novels that a few of us have learn again within the ‘80s like Christopher Pike novels, or [Lois Duncan’s] “Killing Mr. Griffin” or “I Know What You Did Final Summe”r, even the Donna Tartt novel, The Secret Historical past. So we thought, “Oh, what if what binds our group collectively isn’t simply the camaraderie of senior 12 months however a criminal offense that has them on the absolute centre of it?” That’s sort of the place we began with that concept.
8. Jughead is lacking from that state of affairs and Archie, who is roofed in blood, is informed by Betty to throw Jug’s iconic beanie into the fireplace. Numerous followers are going to imagine that Jughead goes to die in season 4. Why take him out of the Core 4? Why not anybody else?
We began to speak a bit about what we had been going to do subsequent season and we felt like one of many issues that had by no means occurred on the present was that one thing extraordinarily horrible hadn’t occurred to one in all our Core 4 — it was at all times peripheral characters. It’s true that Archie has been overwhelmed each episode this season, [Laughs] however by way of one thing that will actually strike on the coronary heart of the Core 4, it felt like one in all them needed to be on the bleeding coronary heart of this crime, in order that’s sort of how the thought advanced. It didn’t begin that means, however that’s sort of how we developed the thought although.